OUR CALENDAR

Thursday, March 3, 2011

WAIRAKEI SCHOOL - CHRISTCHURCH

We have been in contact with a class in Christchurch. They are a year 1 /2 class and their school has been closed until at least Friday this week. We have been reading their stories and posting comments to them. You can look at their blog too, by clicking on this link:

WAIRAKEI SCHOOL

Today we brainstormed using the YELLOW HAT. These are the good reasons about communicating with Room 10:

1. They are not in the Manawatu, so we are learning about other people
2. We are checking to see whether they are keeping safe
3. Because it is a sad time for them and we want to cheer them up
4. They were in the earthquake and we want to see if they are OK (we are all one family - Aotearoa NZ)
5. We are new friends to them and they probably need lots of friends at this time
6. We want to get knowledge about what people are doing in Christchurch, because we want to make sure people are OK and safe
7. We care about Room 10 alot now, they're our new friends
8. The Christchurch earthquake was massive and we want to learn about it and from it
9. We are keeping in touch with our new friends

6 comments:

  1. Well done Room 4 for caring about the children of Room 10 in Wairakei School. I'm sure they will enjoy making new friends with you all. It is a very sad thing that has happened to everyone down in Christchurch. I am proud to know you all and am thankful to you all for being such wonderful children who care about others so much.
    Mrs Ferris

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's great that you have connected with a class in Christchurch. Even though we are all New Zealanders, we can still learn a lot from each other. I feel really sorry for all the people in the earthquake region - it makes me feel grateful for what we have. I'm sure they will enjoy learning about you too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Room 4,
    As I read your Yellow Hat reasons, I can't help but shed a tear. I am so glad you are reading our blog. I can't wait until Room 10 looks at your blog too.
    We do not know when school will start back yet, we are hoping for next week sometime. We only have a little bit of damage to our school (slumping in some floors and buckling in some ceilings), and our water is a lovely khaki colour at the moment!
    Thank you so much for your kind words.
    Miss O'Neill

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sophie. I am Robert from Wairakei School in Christchurch. My mum is helping me write to you. I was very happy to read your comment on my class's blog page. My family and I have gone to stay with my grandparents in Timaru because we were very scared after the big earthquake and all the aftershocks made us nervous. My cat ran away for four days but my dad said he has come home again now. My dad is still working in Christchurch, but he has come down to Timaru for the weekend. We were sooooo happy to see him this morning. We still don't know when the schools will be open. We will go back when they do open. My sister Amelia is in year 7 and she is going to Waimataitai too and my brother Lachie is 3 and he is going to Waimataitai kindergarten. Everyone is so kind to us down here. It is cool having my auntie Kate at school with me. I go to the staffroom every lunchtime to see her. Thanks for your interest in our class. Our teacher is doing a great job of putting interesting things on our blog. It's cool that your class is looking at our page. Say hi to all your class and thank them because it helps when we know people are thinking of us down here in Christchurch. From Robert

    ReplyDelete
  5. To mrs Hunter,

    Could I please write back to Robert.I
    am so excited that Robert wrote back to me.


    from Sophie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Of course you can Sophie.

    You will need to draft it up and we will post it together as a class. I am looking forward to seeing your reply.

    ReplyDelete